Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sweet Onion Marmalade

Woohoo! I am back!

Let's get right to it. Here is some sweet onion marmalade, which I'm super excited to serve with some steak over the holidays. I tried a little out of the jar and its fabulous, especially for an onion lover like me.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium onion (any kind, even red, though I used yellow)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 rosemary sprigs
2/3 cup brown sugar (get a new box/bag if yours is all dried up in your cupboard!)
1/3 cup dry white wine (I used Hogue Sauvignon Blanc, since it's what was in my fridge)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (I was originally concerned that this had gluten, but alas! It's made from grapes, excellent news!)

In a heavy frying pan or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Thinly slice the onion and add to the hot oil. Let caramelize - takes 20 - 30 minutes at least (more, if you have the time...the more you cook, the more they'll brown) until they're changed colors and are a light brownish color.

Add the salt, pepper, rosemary sprigs and bay leaves. Let cook for another 20 - 30 minutes. Here is my pot at this point:



Add in the sugar, wines and vinegar.



Bring to a boil, stirring consistently, and then bring back down to a simmer. Let cook for another 20 - 30 minutes until it reduces to your desired consistency. Remember it will thicken a bit more as it cools. Here is my jar of sweet onion marmalade. I was surprised at how little it made, hence the clementine next to it for comparison purposes, but I think a little will go a long way.



It's good for up to 2 - 3 months, and is supposed to get better with time. I will have to make more, since this batch will get eaten right up :-)

Stay tuned for how it tastes with the steak we're grilling for our first (of five...lots of families to visit with) holiday dinners!

No comments: