Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gorgonzola and Porcini Risotto

So, I have to admit - I don't really like mushrooms. However, I had the most fabulous meal at cousin Laura's wedding back in September at the Chatham Bars Inn - which included mushroom risotto! This was fantastic, I thought I was coming around on the fungus family!

False. I think this risotto was especially mushroomy. Perhaps the stuff back at CBI was milder. Anyway, Doug and my mother raved about it (and my mom took the leftovers home, since we were heading out to PA and wouldn't get to them) so I figure it's a good recipe for all you mushroom fans. This recipe was featured on Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis back in 2008. She called for 4 cups of chicken stock, but I found the rice to be not quite done. 2 additional cups did the trick.

Ingredients:
6 cups chicken stock (my go-to gluten free chicken stock is available at Trader Joe's)
1.5 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
3 tablespoons butter (I found this didn't cover the rice completely, so I added a little more, so perhaps it was closer to 4 tablespoons)
1 medium diced white onion
1.5 cups Arborio rice (rice is naturally g-free, as long as it's not "messed with" at all with spices or whatnot)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola - some blue cheeses are aged on bread, though this is becoming less common. Just make sure you're buying GF cheese. All Trader Joe cheese is GF, FYI.
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I had some trouble finding dried porcini mushrooms. This could have been because I was shopping so close to Christmas. I ended up buying these from Whole Foods:



Bring the stock to a boil with the porcini mushrooms in a covered saucepan.


Turn off the heat and let the mushrooms seep in the broth for around a half an hour, until the mushrooms are tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms. Bring the chicken broth back to a simmer (covered), since the broth must be warm when added to the rice.

In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the onion and mushrooms and let cook for around five minutes.


Add the rice and stir to completely cover with butter (this is where I added a little more).


Add the wine, and stir constantly until the wine is absorbed (around 3 minutes). Add the warm chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting each additional absorb into the rice before adding more.


This whole process will take around 20 - 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and add in the salt, pepper, chives, parmesan and gorgonzola.

A note about adding the broth - figure out which of your ladles holds approximately a half a cup. It will make this process much easier!

My final product, snuggling up to a piece of steak!

No comments: