Thursday, March 18, 2010

Taco night!

I will NOT say I am above the prepackaged Old El Paso (or whatever the brand is) taco mix. But I wanted to try my own.

Ingredients (for meat mixture part only):
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 white onion
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef or turkey (I used turkey)
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Pepper to taste


Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground meat and cook, breaking meat up with wooden spoon and scraping pan bottom to prevent scorching, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, and vinegar; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently and breaking meat up so that no chunks remain, until liquid has reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.

If you don't know what to do now I'm not sure you should be making these, but we served with cheese, shredded lettuce, hot salsa and sour cream. I also like making taco salads, which is my preferred method of consumption...meat and salsa over some shredded lettuce with a little cheese!

No comments: