Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stroganoff

I honestly have never had stroganoff before. I had no idea what to expect. I was always wary of the nutrition content, but as most dishes - that can be controlled at home. I found a recipe in my Cooking Light magazine that said any meat could be used - they suggested pork or chicken. Since I already had a pound of chicken in my freezer, I went for chicken. Follow the same directions for any meat though. If you use pork, use pork loin or tenderloin.

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breast, cut into small pieces
8 ounces dry egg noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large chopped onion
2 tablespoons paprika
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 low or nonfat sour cream
Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste (but a good amount of each)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Cook the noodles, set them aside. Egg noodles are easy, they only take a few minutes (like, 3 or 4) to cook.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes. Add paprika, mixing well, and let cook for another minute. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook until the sauce has thickened, around 5 minutes.

Remove pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream. I mixed in the noodles at this point too, as opposed to just spooning the meat sauce over the noodles. I said to season to taste, but I used a fair amount of salt and red pepper flakes (but omit if you don't want any kick) - so use a heavy hand!

I almost forgot to take a picture until Doug was almost done, so here you go - Doug's almost empty dish of chicken stroganoff :-)


No comments: