Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bread Pudding with Apples and Brandy!

Like french toast but better, and meant for a dessert. Which I am convinced french toast should also be - what sucker decided to put word out that french toast is a breakfast treat?

I got some really good whole wheat challah from Rosenfeld's Bagels in Newton Center. It's just so good on its own - if you're going to make this, make sure to buy good bread. Either challah or brioche, and buy it from a bakery. I bought whole wheat because I like it better, it's richer (or something) than regular.

1 pound cubed challah
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 granny smith apples, peeled and cubed
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup brandy
4 large eggs
3 cups milk (I used lowfat)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay the cubed bread out on a baking tray, and cook for 15 minutes (stirring around halfway through) to toast it. Here is my bread, before I toasted it.


Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add apples and 1/4 cup of sugar and cook for around 15 minutes.


Take off heat to add the cinnamon and brandy, then cook (over heat) for another minute. Make sure you stir this really well so you don't have clumps of cinnamon.

In a large bowl, stir remaining sugar with milk and eggs. Add the brioche and apple mixture. Toss to coat evenly and then let stand for five minutes.


Transfer to a dish and cook for 45-50 minutes. Good idea to lay a baking tray out beneath it to catch the drippings - I will have to clean my oven later :-)

Let sit for 15 minutes ish before serving. Great with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.



No comments: