Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Preview

We're spending Thanksgiving at Aunt Laura & Uncle Toms house in Weston. The good news is that we all get to help cook! I haven't made this yet, so I will have to update with pictures later. But I thought that I would post my recipes now in case anyone needs some help in what to make for their Thanksgiving dinners :-)

First up - stuffing. I hosted one Thanksgiving back in 2006 and this was the recipe for stuffing that I used and it was delicious. I am bringing this stuffing on thursday out to Weston, and will post a picture later. We don't cook the stuffing in the bird to make the bird gluten free friendly. But, here you go. 

Bread Stuffing with Sage & Thyme
Cooks Illustrated
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 large white onion, chopped
4 ribs celery, diced (around 1.5 cups)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 cps dried 1/2 inch bread cubes - using either french load, potato or challah bread
2 cups chicken stock (can use low sodium canned broth)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon table salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat until fully melted. Pour off 2 tablespoons and reserve. Add onion and celery and saute until translucent, around 8 minutes. Stir in sage, thyme, marjoram, parsley, black pepper and cook for another minute. Transfer mixture to large bowl and add bread cubes, chicken stock, eggs & salt and toss to distribute ingredients evenly. Turn mixture into buttered 13x9 inch baking dish and drizzle with reserved butter. Cover tightly with foil and bake for around 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown - another 15-20 minutes. Serve warm. 

My mom is making cranberry chutney, and I'm planning to bring a round of brie to spread the chutney over for an appetizer. This chutney is awesome, especially for this purpose. It is good to make it a few days in advance so the flavors can gel together.While I'm not making it this time, here is the recipe:

Cranberry Chutney
3 oranges, peeled and chopped
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon vinegar

This is very easy. Put all ingredients (except for walnuts) in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let cook until all of the cranberries are popped. Add the walnuts at the end (off heat), and you're done!

I am going to be making a green bean dish. I haven't decided on one for sure yet, but will probably be making the one below. I made it for my 2006 Thanksgiving and it was good (I don't really like green beans, but relatively speaking good). I don't really get green bean casserole, mostly because I get annoyed when I am encouraged to bog down veggies with cream and cheese. This is a simple and healthy way to spice up your green intake on turkey day. 

Green Beans with Tomatoes
Cooks Illustrated
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
1 pound green beans, stem ends snapped off (I also cut the beans in half)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened (around 5 minutes). Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add tomatoes and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add green beans, salt and pepper and stir. Cover the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally until beans are tender but still offer some resistance, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve. 


    No comments: