Monday, November 16, 2009

Mashed Potatoes

I made mashed potatoes to serve with my pot roast, but I decided to start posting recipes separately, even if I make them together. My go to cooking gurus (Cooks Illustrated) usually recommend using Yukon Gold potatoes when making mashed potatoes, but I prefer regular old white potatoes...also known as Idaho or Russet. Recipe below (I made this up, no reference here!).

4 potatoes
2/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup half and half
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
2-3 minced/pressed garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste

A method I learned from Cooks Illustrated is to cook the potatoes in their skins, and peel later. Some think this is a pain as you're peeling when hot, but I've never had trouble preventing burning and I think it is easier than peeling the raw potatoes. The skin comes off much quicker. So, I cooked my potatoes in water in a covered pot over medium-high heat for around 25 minutes. You'll know when the potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork all the way through. Drain water out of the pot and peel the hot potatoes. I do this by using two forks so I don't actually have to touch them.

Once peeled, return to pot and mash with 4 tablespoon butter (which will melt by itself, just add solid butter to pot), milk and half and half. The measurements are approximations, I just add little by little until desired consistency. Add garlic, salt, pepper and a little cheese. Stir, and serve!

No comments: