Sunday, October 4, 2009

Guacamoooole

Look, I made a movie reference! Who is proud?

Guacamole is one of my favorites - to make and to eat. I almost always make it when I have house guests, which we did this weekend. Doug and I were happy to host good friends Khatri and Oskana. I don't really have a recipe, it is more to taste than measurements, but this is my best approximation:

2-3 avocados
1 large ripe tomato
1/2 chopped red onion
1/4-1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste

I usually buy the avocados a few days in advance. If your avocados aren't ripe, guac isn't worth making. If they're ripe, they skin and be taken off the pit easily. Mix your chopped vegetables and mash together with a potato masher. If you heat the lime for 10-15 seconds you'll get more juice out.

Guac tastes better if it can hang out for a few hours before serving so the flavors can blend together - but make sure to cover well with plastic wrap. If it is exposed to air, it will turn brown! Here is my guac - I put in tupperware, covered tightly with plastic wrap then put the tupperware lip over the plastic wrap:

No comments: