Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Doug and I spent a week in Florida and shared a house with a bunch of other people. So I had to bake something! I decide on a favorite that everybody would like - chocolate chip cookies. This is my faaavorite recipe out of all the cookie recipes I have tried over the years - from Cooks Illustrated

Ingredients

2 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons melted unsalted butter (that is 1.5 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 cups chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli semi sweet - good chocolate makes a big difference!)

Heat over to 325 degrees. Butter baking sheet. Mix flour, salt and baking soda in medium bowl, set aside. Mix melted butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chips. Sometimes I use walnuts too, but not this time since you never know who has a nut allergy.

Start checking cookies after 13 minutes of baking. They should be puffy and just a tiny bit brown on the outside. Keep in mind that as they cool, they'll continue to harden.

Side note - most ovens vary in temperature. I bought a thermometer for my oven and it makes cooking time much more predictable - turns out my oven was usually 15-25 degrees off. For example, now when I cook something that is supposed to be at 325, I cook at 350.

But anyway, back to cookies. Here you go! They were delicious.

No comments: