Monday, January 4, 2010

Coq Au Vin

I first learned about a Coq Au Vin on Top Chef a few seasons ago. They had given the chef who made it - Casey - a hard time because she used chicken as opposed to the traditional rooster. Turns out, most modern versions are made with chicken because rooster isn't commercially raised (something that didn't matter in the olden days). I never had an intention of cooking a rooster, but I was reading my Cooks Illustrated Magazine and came across an article about a modern Coq Au Vin. Way back when, it was braised for a long time because a tough bird with lots of connective tissue such as a rooster needed it to be edible. Now, it is just tasty. Using two pots speeds up the process a lot faster. This is not an easy weeknight meal, I have only made it twice but would only consider making on a weekend. Also because it makes great leftovers. A medium bodied fruity wine is the best for this dish - avoid the really oaky stuff. The first time I made it, I followed the recipe exactly. The second time, I cut out some of the heavy stuff...like a lot of the butter and some bacon. I didn't miss it.

Ingredients:
1 bottle red wine (see note above)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
10 springs fresh parsley
2 springs thyme
1 bay leaf
4 ounces thick cut bacon (I only used two...I don't want too much fat)
3 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
1 large white onion, chopped
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons flour ( I used almond flour)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (I didn't end up using nearly this much)
minced parsley, to garnish

Bring wine, broth, parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf to simmer in large saucepan over medium-high heat. My pot:

Cook until reduced to 3 cups, about 25 minutes. Discard herbs.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate. The recipe calls for keeping the fat to cook the veggies in, but I chose to just use olive oil to be a little healthier.

Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat reserved bacon fat in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking (again, I just used a little olive oil). Add half of chicken in single layer and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and repeat with remaining chicken. Here is my chicken cooking:

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in now-empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat (yet again, I used just a little olive oil). Add onion and mushrooms and cook for around 5 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and flour and let cook for another minute, stirring constantly.

Add reduced wine mixture and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return chicken, any accumulated juices, and reserved bacon to pot; increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.

Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to large bowl; tent with foil to keep warm. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer sauce until thick and glossy and measures 3 cups, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter (I skipped this). Season to taste with salt. Return chicken to pot and top with minced parsley. Serve immediately. I served with cous cous, but you could also serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. The first time I made it I served it with mashed potatoes and it was a little too heavy for me. Cous cous was perfect.

I didn't take a picture of my plate (I might have been too hungry to remember to take one), but here is the last step. It taster better than it looks, I promise! Nice and rich.


No comments: